- Missionaries are sent and supplied in obedience to Christʼs command in the Great Commission
(Matt. 28:18-20, Acts 1:8)
- Missionaries are either Church-Planters or Church- Strengtheners, sometimes both
(Ti. 1:5, 2 Tim. 2:2)
- Missionaries should be approved, sent, and supplied by local churches (Acts 13:3)
- Missionaries should be accountable to local churches
- Missionaries should meet the same qualifications as pastors, because they are pastors (Eph. 4:11, 1 Tim. 3, Ti. 1)
- Missionaries are sent and supplied for the sake of Christʼs name among the nations (Rom. 1:5, 2 Jn. 7)
- Missions exists because worship does not
(1 Chron. 16:31, Is. 4996, Rev. 599-12)
I. MISSIONARIES NEED CHURCHES TO SHARE THEIR TROUBLES BY MEETING THEIR NEEDS (vv. 14, 16)
II. CHURCHES MUST PARTNER WITH MISSIONARIES BECAUSE SENDING FINANCIALLY IS JUST AS VITAL AS GOING PHYSICALLY (v. 15)
III. MISSIONARIES SHOULD BE TREATED MORE LIKE A FAMILY MEMBER AND LESS LIKE A BEGGAR (v. 16)
IV. MISSIONARIES SHOULD BE GENEROUSLY SUPPLIED EVEN AT GREAT COST TO THE SAINTS (2 Cor. 8:1-3)
1. In verses 14-16, Paul is clarifying his gratefulness for the Philippians’ generosity. What did they do for him? How does 2 Corinthians 8:1-5 shed further light on their generous spirit?
2. How does Acts 16 help us understand what Paul is referencing in verse 15?